Sunday, September 5, 2010

Marathon training update: 6 weeks to go!

Hard to believe I'm now two-thirds of the way through marathon training. Only six weeks left, and I will be on that starting line! Every time I think about it, I alternate between excited butterflies and "how can I get out of this?" nerves. Last week I was diagnosed with a heel spur and plantar fasciitis, both of which are quite painful. I'm supposed to be wearing a night splint for the PF, using arch supports in my shoes, and icing my foot for the spur. Taking ibuprofen after a run is part of my routine, too.

My doc said I could still run on it as long as it's not getting worse (if it does, I'm up for a cortisone shot--ouch!). Ironically, the best long run I had recently was the day after this diagnosis. I ran 18 miles with friends in Traverse City, MI. The route was scenic, the company was good, and my foot didn't hurt too badly. Here are some pictures from the day!

At our friends' campsite, 7am... nervous as all get-out.



I did not want to get out of that warm, comfy car...



But just a few short hours later, I'm DONE! I just ran EIGHTEEN MILES folks!



The best part of that day was feeling like I could keep running at the end. Who would've thought? :) That was the first time in training that finishing the race distance seemed realistically attainable. My remaining weekend runs are 19, 12, 20, 12, and 8 miles before that big ol' 26.2.

I'm actually running another half marathon (13.1 miles) on the 12-mile day, two weeks from today. A bunch of friends are running it as well, and a change of route/scenery is a blessed relief at this point! I'm looking forward to it. My time for 13 miles today was about 2hr 9min, which is a little under 10 minutes per mile. My race pace is usually faster than training pace, though I don't plan to go out full-force that day. Got to save some energy for the 19 miles the following week! Now if only my foot would cooperate...

1 comment: