Wednesday, December 2, 2009

I give it 8 out of 10

Tonight's dinner was a combination of quick leftovers + something The H doesn't like. He's traveling for work, just for the night, so baby duty was all on me. Whew! I can't imagine how moms of multiples ever manage to eat; getting my son and the dog fed and played with left little time for me to prep my own meal, which is why I was sitting down to it at 8:30 tonight. Yikes!

The leftover portion was frozen turkey sloppy joe filling from Clean Eating Magazine (for which I don't think I've yet posted a recipe, though this is the second time in recent weeks that I've mentioned it...). I love that I made a huge batch and am still finding them in the freezer! I had it on an Arnold sandwich thin.

My "H won't eat this, let's do it" treat was a small delicata squash from the co-op, sliced and roasted and drizzled with maple syrup and toasted almonds during the last 10 minutes of cooking. The idea came from Clean Eating Magazine, the Nov/Dec 2009 issue.

Overall, it was filling and colorful, and certainly easy to prepare. I'm detracting a point from each component because the sloppy joe got too mushy and suddenly said "Don't eat another bite of me!" (ever have food do that to you?) and the squash could have had more flavor. Perhaps the way I prepared it (sliced, rather than scooped and mashed) had something to do with that. However, I would make both parts again. Thus, 8/10.

3 comments:

  1. I bought delicata squash from the co-op this month too. I'm going to try it for the first time tonight using this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Baked-Delicata-Squash-with-Lime-Butter/Detail.aspx. Fingers crossed that it turns out well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to try that--let me know how it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may have to try this! I have some squash from this falls' co-op in the garage and I need to get it cooked.

    ReplyDelete