Thursday, March 4, 2010

Gluten-free cookie mix: a review

It's been a cookie-baking week in the eating machine house. I've had a box of Betty Crocker's gluten free chocolate chip cookie mix sitting in the pantry for awhile and figured it was time to stir it up. The H was going out of town for work, so I thought he could take them with him for snacking.


The ingredients list is fairly simple, though not really clean. Lots of sugar.


There were ton of chocolate chips in the bowl when I dumped the mix, but surprisingly the cookies themselves didn't seem to have very many in each one.


Fresh from the oven, these had a distinctively gluten-free gritty texture, but as they cooled it kind of went away. They baked up large, as you can see, so for the second tray full I had to get creative. There was no way the 12 cookies I had on the sheet would have come out well at all!

I ended up with 2 normal cookies, 6 cookie muffins, and a cute little mini loaf.


These were very crumbly when fresh, but retained their structure better as they cooled. Once cool, they tasted like any regular store-bought chocolate chip cookie dough.


After all was said and done, these ended up being our third favorite gluten free Betty Crocker mix. The first place prize in our experience goes to the Devil's Food Cake. I won't make these on a regular basis (the almond butter cookies I made last night are far superior) but they might be nice to have on hand if you are expecting young gluten-free guests.

No comments:

Post a Comment