Monday, September 13, 2010

As the Bean Sprouts: HARVEST!

OK so really I've been "harvesting" the beans here and there since they started springing up, but I finally had too many to keep up with eating fresh. I'm not about to pretend that I'm ready for adventures in canning/preserving, so I asked my sister--gardener extraordinaire--about blanching them.

Using some very simple instructions, I was able to save over 20 ounces of fresh, beautiful beans for future use.



What looks like a heap of dirty dishes is actually all you need for this simple process (I didn't use a metal colander inside the boiling pots).



I packaged my beans into 7-ounce portions, sucked the air out of each bag, and stashed them in the freezer. They'll be good up to 9 months from now, but somehow I don't think they'll last nearly that long. This was a super-easy process that I was able to complete while the little guy napped--I even ran out to pick some SUPER fresh beans to make sure my harvest was completely up to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment