Sunday, November 21, 2010

Cheddar garlic quick bread - gluten free!

Can you believe this is a gluten-free quick bread? Look at the RISE on that sucker! It was truly a thing of beauty--and tasty, too!



Once I read Steph's blog post, I had a craving I just couldn't shake. I was nice enough to let The H in on my craving (ok, I didn't want to eat a whole loaf myself!) and decided to make it gluten-free. Taking advantage of the fact that I work from home, I ran downstairs and whipped this up during my lunch break. We didn't go as far as Steph and make grilled cheese out of it--this time. :) Thanks, Steph! My slightly altered version appears below.


Gluten-Free Garlic Cheddar Quick Bread
originally from Stephanie Cooks

3 cups gluten-free flour blend (like Bob's Red Mill)
2 1/4 tsp xanthan gum (the gum-to-flour ratio is 3/4 tsp per cup)
4 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
1/4 cup Sugar in the Raw
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning, divided
1 1/2 cups milk (1%)
1/4 cup canola oil
1 egg

1. Preheat oven to 350* and grease a loaf pan. Combine flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, cheddar, sugar, garlic powder, and 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning in a medium bowl.

2. In a smaller bowl, combine milk, oil, and egg. Stir wet ingredients into dry.

3. Pour into loaf pan and sprinkle remaining Italian seasoning over the top. Bake in preheated oven 55-60 minutes, or until a sharp knife inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean.

4. Cool bread in pan for 10 minutes, then flip onto a wire rack to finish cooling.



I think this would be fantastic served with your favorite chili recipe... among other things!

No comments:

Post a Comment