Thursday, February 3, 2011

Derailed

For the first time in two years, my jeans were tight this morning. ::collective gasp:: Just like a normal person! (You know, 'cause I am.) No really, my weight fluctuates even on a clean eating plan. Usually it's within the same 5lb range (even throughout marathon training) but my pants always fit the same. So their squeeziness is either a sign that I shouldn't let The H dry my jeans on high heat anymore, or that I have been getting too lax in my eating/meal planning. Since fresh-from-the-dryer jeans have never been a problem for me, I'm sadly going with the latter. Perhaps being out of work has affected my eating habits more than I've cared to admit.

Rather than wallowing in self-pity about my lack of employment (and newfound muffintop), I've decided to shape up my habits and get back on track. There's no time like, well, NOW. Here's what my day looked/will look like:

Breakfast - steel cut oats with a few dried cherries, 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, maple sugar flakes, cinnamon, nutmeg, and low-fat milk

Snack - Green monster (spinach, milk, flax meal, 1/2 scoop protein powder, banana), half a grapefruit, string cheese

Lunch - Leftover chicken and garbanzo soup (chicken, leeks, garbanzos, homemade stock)

Snack - Half an apple with a small yogurt cup, two small squares of very dark chocolate

Exercise - 3-4 mile run (-5 windchill doesn't thrill me...may stick with the treadmill today)

Dinner - BBQ chicken pizza (chicken, Trader Joe's barbeque sauce, green onion, sharp cheddar, red bell pepper, GF crust)

Snack - (undecided) GF banana bread and decaf

I'm also carrying around a water bottle, something I seem to have gotten out of the habit of doing now that I'm not parked in front of my computer for work. Hopefully by this time next week (I know, these things can't be rushed) I'll be fitting into my jeans like I normally would. That's solid motivation to be mindful of my eating at this weekend's SuperBowl party!

Stay normal!
-Kate

5 comments:

  1. What GF crust do you use? From scratch? Are steel cut oats GF friendly?? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We use Bob's Red Mill GF crust (love it!). The oats I prefer are Trader Joe's quick-cook steel cut; I *think* they have a cross-contamination-free disclaimer on them, but I'm not certain. The H doesn't really eat them so it's not an issue for us, sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I love your blog, you are so motivating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! Doesn't always feel like it. ;) I appreciate the support!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well you've turned that feeling into something positive! Way to be proactive.
    Did not know you had a career change - hope you enjoy your new found freedom.

    ReplyDelete