Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Italian Shrimp Salad

This recipe appealed to me because 1) I love shrimp and 2) I need to eat more salads.
Italian Shrimp Salad
from Clean Eating Magazine, Vol. 3, Issue 2
serves 4

12oz fresh or frozen raw medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 cup shelled fava beans (I subbed edamame)
1 6oz jar artichoke hearts, drained, quartered, and rinsed
1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped (I used yellow for a splash of different color)
1 small fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
1/2 cup red grape tomatoes, halved
3 cups Romaine lettuce, shredded
1 recipe Honey & White Balsamic Vinaigrette (see below)
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
2 Tbsp unsalted pine nuts (I subbed walnuts that I toasted lightly)

1. Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and cook for 2 minutes, until shrimp turn pink. Remove from water with a slotted spoon and rinse in cold water; set aside.

2. In the same water, add beans and cook for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.

3. In a large mixing bowl, combine shrimp, beans, artichokes, green pepper, fennel, tomatoes, and lettuce. Add vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper, tossing gently to combine. Divide salad between four plates and top each serving with 1/2 tablespoon of nuts.

Honey & White Balsamic Vinaigrette
(from same CEM issue)

2 Tbsp white balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp raw organic honey
1/4 tsp mustard seeds, ground (double this)
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste

In a small mixing bowl, whisk together all ingredients. Refrigerate until serving or use immediately. Will keep in an airtight container in the fridge up to 2 weeks.

Even The H appreciated the freshness and crunchy of this salad. When I first read it, I thought it sounded pretty bland and very green. It was a nice alternative to reheated leftovers for lunch on a rainy day, though. I LOVED the toasted walnuts on top!

In the future I'll be sure to squeeze or pat my shrimp dry; my salad was very *wet* between the shrimp, artichokes (even after they were drained), tomatoes, and dressing. Before I packaged my leftovers, I let the leftover shrimp--couldn't mix them together because of The H's allergy--marinate in the extra dressing for more flavor without actually adding more dressing when I go to eat it next.

No comments:

Post a Comment