Monday, March 7, 2011

Marathon training update: 6 weeks down

This weekend marks the one-third point in training for my second marathon. My long run on Saturday was 10 miles, which I completed at an average pace of 8:55 per mile--I finished just under an hour and a half. Honestly, that's kind of on the slower end of my usual these days, which is weird for me to say. Last time, just this past summer, I was averaging about 10:10/mi for runs of 9-10 miles. My long run pace was never under 9:00 per mile last training cycle; I didn't start speeding up, ironically, until after the marathon. It was a red-letter day if I finished a long run faster than 10:00/mi pace.

Just before my 18-mile training run last September, I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis and a bone spur on my right heel. I made it through training and the race just fine, and it seemed to have calmed down quite a bit, until this month. Sad to say, the spur has been causing me more problems lately. It's been hurting during a run instead of just mildly uncomfortable afterward. I hope that changing to a fresh pair of running shoes will help, but I'm kind of nervous about it being so painful this early in training. 

This weekend the long run jumps to 14 miles...

No comments:

Post a Comment