Friday, October 23, 2009

Dear Kale Chips...

Where have you BEEN all my life? Why has nobody taken the time to introduce me to your crispy, salty, green and wholesome goodness? You are truly one of the most delightful dark leafy greens I've ever had the privilege of consuming, and that is something coming from a person who puts spinach in a breakfast shake and craves roasted Brussels sprouts. My only regret in lunching with you today is that I didn't have the foresight to use a larger cookie sheet when experimenting with your wonderful self. I've learned my lesson. Never again will I think of you, kale, as an awkward cold restaurant-plate garnish.
With adoration,
Kate

Baked Kale Chips - inspired by Allrecipes

Curly kale leaves, washed and de-stemmed
Olive oil (in a misting spritzer works best)
Sea salt

Preheat oven to 350*. Lay washed leaves on a sprayed (or foil-lined) cookie sheet. Spritz with oil. Sprinkle with sea salt to taste (don't over do it--they are very thin and the salt isn't going anywhere during cooking, so take it easy). Bake 9-12 minutes or until just beginning to brown at the edges. What worked best for me was baking 9 minutes, then turning the oven off for the next two. EAT and ENJOY.

These chips are everything I love about roasted Brussels sprouts--the crispy, browned, salty outer leaves--without the jaw-popping chewy middles. I made these to go with my lunch today (at home, as these are fragile and not suitable for transporting to work) and ate every single piece before I even took a single bite of anything else. They almost made me not want my Honeycrisp apple... I will try these again when my son is around. Given his love of pretzels and corn chips (the latter of which always seem to get stuck in his throat) I can see these being a big hit with the under-3-foot-tall crowd as well.

1 comment: