Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Keeping it local

I'm so very excited to report that I've joined a local co-op! Rather than relying on the farmers' market from May-November, I now have year-round access to fresh, local produce, meat, eggs, and a whole ton more. This is my first cycle with the co-op, so I can't say for sure how I like it yet, but so far I'm thrilled. (The H may not be, once he sees the total, but we have to *eat* right?) :) My desire to eat and shop locally has been growing since this blog began. Reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver has contributed to that quite a bit. It reads like a novel, and while I don't agree 100% with every word inside, I like that the tone is not preachy or holier-than-thou at all. I've already recommended it to my mom, an avid herb-and-veggie gardener, and asked that The H read it when I'm done, so he can understand where my "locavore" tendencies are coming from.

This co-op shopping cycle, I'm trying out a bunch of different producers, ordering things like eggs, squash, potatoes, lean beef, and dried cherries. Did you see that I wrote "squash" there? I know it's not one of my favorites, but I'm really trying to like it. Eating locally means I am choosing not to buy a bunch of warm-weather fruits and veggies until April or May, so I'd better get used to what's available here in the mitten state. I figure getting it fresh and local might help with that endeavor, since that is likely where the best, most flavorful product will come from. My experiments with spaghetti squash and sweet potatoes have turned out well, so I have nothing but high hopes for the other varieties we'll try this winter. Up next: buttercup. Stay tuned. Maybe one day I'll take a picture or two and stick them on here.


2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm glad to see that you've joined the Co-op!

    Animal, Vegetable, Miracle is on my to-be-read list. I've heard great things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Keri! Halfway through, I added the book to my amazon wishlist--a used paper copy--because it's one I'd really like to own.

    ReplyDelete