Sunday, February 28, 2010

Weekend breakfast

Alternating steel-cut oats with peanut butter toast and/or a green monster smoothie is fine for my weekday breakfasts, but sometimes on the weekend I prefer to indulge a little more. Those indulgences often happen after a good, long run, like The H and I had yesterday.


I started with a piece of local flax-bread toast with natural peanut butter and honey, since that is a self-approved pre-run fuel for me, but after slogging through seven miles of slush and mush, we were ready for something hearty. And dry socks.

Scrambled eggs, omelets, and frittatas are a great way to increase your veggie intake and use up some of the straggler produce that may have seen better days. Go take a peek in your crisper and see what you have to use! (Wait, finish reading, THEN go look.)

For this one, I used some local whole eggs + egg whites from a carton, fresh spinach, a big clove of fresh garlic, two fresh mushrooms, a Roma tomato, the end of a bag of shredded cheddar, and two leftover pieces of local nitrate-free bacon. After all, this was for The H, too. And leftover bacon isn't really good (to me) any other way except hiding in another dish.

I started by sauteeing the garlic, mushrooms, and spinach in some olive oil.


When the spinach was wilted, I whisked the eggs and whites with some ground cumin (just a little!), fresh ground black pepper, and a smidge of sea salt.


I poured the egg mix over the veggies and let it set for a while, gently stirring and lifting with a rubber spatula occasionally to let the uncooked egg run underneath. When it was mostly set, I sprinkled the cheese on top (The H added the bacon shards at some point) and put a salad plate on top to help it melt. I couldn't find the lid that fits this pan!


Once the cheese was melted I plated it up and we sat down to eat.


Mmm...coffee...

The cumin added a nice hint of something extra. I didn't use enough to make it spicy or taste like chili. I will use it again in future egg scrambles. A leftover potato or sweet potato, diced small, would have been good in this meal, so when you're rummaging through the refrigerator for goodies to include in yours, don't limit yourself to just the produce drawers. If I had been thinking more cleanly, I would have used more egg whites and fewer whole eggs. Next time!

What do you like to eat for breakfast on the weekend? Is it different from your weekday standbys?

No comments:

Post a Comment