Monday, July 19, 2010

Brought to you by the letter "B"

I felt like a Sesame Street character as we sat down to dinner tonight, pointedly showing the little guy that his dinner was Basmati rice, Boston Baked Beans, and Barbecue chicken. Yes, it was coincidental. Also delicious.


Branny gave us a home-run with the beans; I've been wanting to attempt something like this for a while but didn't know where to start. Thanks, Branny! We loved 'em. I cooked them in a 2.5qt slow cooker. Cutting the recipe in half (using 1 pound dried beans) yielded enough beans for three dinner servings, two leftover portions, and enough to freeze for a future dinner-for-3. I used cranberry beans since that is what I had, and omitted the bacon called for in the original recipe (see link).


The chicken was simply grilled and basted with Trader Joe's BBQ sauce, my personal favorite. The rice was a basmati-wild-rice blend I've had for awhile; it has dried vegetables in it. I cooked it in homemade beef broth, leftover from when I pressure-cooked stew beef for my curry last week.


The little guy ate his entire ramekin of beans, punctuating a few bites with a pipsqueaky "Mmm, I love Bos'on beans." He ended his Letter B Dinner with a gluten-free Brownie. What else? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment