Sunday, April 11, 2010

Grilled chicken and veggies

Yesterday was a typical Saturday for us. We met our running group for a long run (actually, we hosted the long run), did some housework and yardwork, and asked each other "What should we have for dinner?" Since one of The H's errands was getting a new propane tank for the grill, and the only thing I had in mind was "chicken", it made sense that we combine forces. Thus, dinner was born. And I was proud of us for not going out to eat!

First I got a pot (ok, a rice cooker) of quinoa going. I used vegetable broth, two chopped green onions, and a few tablespoons of jarred dehydrated vegetables. Doesn't look like much, but it cooked up nice and fluffy! The little guy loved it.


While that was simmering, I chopped a handful of colorful bell peppers and half of a sweet onion and set them aside to marinate in olive oil and balsamic vinegar until The H was ready to throw them on the grill.


Our chicken got a very basic barbecue sauce bath, but it turned out great.

I put together a quick little snack plate for us--rice crackers, homemade roasted garlic, Laughing Cow light cheese wedges, and sliced smoked gouda--and then the three of us hung out together while The H manned the grill. The little guy and I took turns sharing cheese crackers and playing with sidewalk chalk. Not pictured is the beautifully delicious red wine we popped open.


Finally, almost dinner time! What does a bored, tired little guy do while his mom sets the table? Kick back with a cold one, of course! (Please note: sippy contains milk!)


So I was all proud of these "progression pics" but would you believe that I forgot to take a picture of the finished product? Of course you would. I guess that's what a 9-mile run and two glasses of wine will do to a person... sorry! (In related news, I slept like a rock.) The leftover chicken and peppers got chopped up and tossed into a bowl of quinoa for one of our lunches this week. Hope you had a great and successful Saturday, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment