Sunday, August 30, 2009

On the road again: Day 1

Breakfast 1: banana with natural peanut butter that I'd packed in my suitcase. When you have a favorite, bring it with you! I even brought my own sea salt and black pepper grinders this week. Found them at Trader Joe's for $1.99 each last time I was there, so it was a minimal cost that will make cooking in the hotel more enjoyable for me. I don't have time to open paper packet after paper packet of a few flavorless pepper flakes when I'm trying to make dinner, and I'd rather not use iodized table salt. ANYway, that was a very short story made long: I had a banana with pb for breakfast.

Exercise 1: 20 minute run around the area outside the hotel. Found a semi-paved trail.

Breakfast 2: fresh fruit (honeydew and cantaloupe, pineapple, grapes), scrambled eggs with salsa, half-caff coffee with 2% milk, half a protein shake (again, I brought my own powder since I am partial to it) made with 1% milk. Grabbed another banana for tomorrow. The eggs had a lot of fat in them, I think, as they popped and crackled when I heated them up in our microwave. Next time I'll make my own.

Lunch: this was not the best, but it had to happen. We were exploring to find where The H has to work and our son was getting very impatient. Fast food places were everywhere--not my first choice. Today, however, fast food won. I got a grilled chicken salad at Whataburger and didn't use more than 1/3 of the honey dijon dressing (I still can't eat a salad dry). I did have a few sips of The H's Coke (then felt dizzy, weird!) and a few pieces of broken fry. I was surprised to see that Whataburger's ketchup does not contain HFCS.

Snack 1: green grapes, 14 raw almonds, and a vanilla Greek yogurt. We went shopping this afternoon and now have more than enough options for healthy in-room meals! We're fortunate enough to have an oven here, so maybe some gluten-free brownies for The H will make an appearance this week.

Dinner: Ground turkey nachos--turkey browned with an onion and homemade taco seasoning, topped with chopped tomato, cheese, and black beans with hot salsa--on the simplest tortilla chips I could find: corn, salt, lime. Tomorrow I can mix the leftover beans and tomatoes with an egg for a meal.

Snack 2: two small 72% dark chocolate squares, decaf with milk, and a glass of water.

Exercise 2: did not happen. It became "Snack 3" instead. :( Honey Nut chex with 1% milk! Not clean. But ohhhh so tasty...

No comments:

Post a Comment