Monday, August 24, 2009

Treat yourself!

It's been a busy morning here, trying to get ready for an appointment while keeping track of my very active son, who loudly refused his morning nap and just wanted to play in the toilet while I did my hair and makeup. After leaving him with the sitter and getting out the door on time, I told myself I'd stop for coffee if I got a good report at the doc's office. And that's exactly what I did. The appointment couldn't have gone any better, so I stopped at a local bakery for a cup of caffeine... and a chocolate-almond biscotti. Normally I'd walk into such a place, see all the sticky frosted sugar-bombs in the display case and just order my java, leaving there with a sense of accomplishment and, yes, just a touch of holier-than-thou-ness at resisting the tooth-rotting temptation.

But you know what? I wanted that biscotti, and I'll be darned if I was going the high and mighty route today. And it was worth every crumbly, sweet, nutty bite. That little bit of indulgence after a hectic start to the day helped put me in such a better mood! I felt productive, accomplished, and successful--and all I did was run some boring old errands. No doubt the sunshine contributed to my mood as well. Tonight I'm scheduled for a 3-mile run, and knowing that, plus having run 10 miles this weekend, I feel perfectly justified in my sweet splurge this morning.

Don't forget to treat yourself now and then. A little biscotti might turn your day around.

No comments:

Post a Comment