Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Cleaning up the Krusteaz

Yesterday was difficult. The little guy was clingy and cantankerous, which is always hard on everyone. He was very hands-on, which didn't leave me much time for puttering in the kitchen. So when lunchtime rolled around I had no idea what I was going to make. In his grumpy mood, he refused everything I offered, even his usual favorites.

Then I remembered the box of buttermilk complete Krusteaz pancake mix in the pantry. He tucked away a large blueberry pancake at running group on Saturday, so I decided to whip up a small batch. The mix itself isn't the cleanest but I added unsweetened applesauce, a healthy handful of frozen blueberries, and some ground flax seed in addition to water to make it a bit heartier.

We got 7 pancakes out of it--we each ate one for lunch (I wasn't too optimistic about my chance of getting to eat later) with a chunk of sharp cheddar, and I put the other five in the fridge. He asked for one this morning for breakfast, so we must have a winner. If I had more time, I would've made them from scratch with oatmeal so The H could have some of the leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment