Sunday, January 17, 2010

Happy hundredth!

This post is my 100th since the start of my clean-eating blog and lifestyle. Happy day! To celebrate (not really; I was going to make it anyway), I made spaghetti and meatballs for the first time in my entire life, I think.


The inspiration for the meatballs came from this recipe, but of course I made my own changes. First, I made them the night before we wanted to use them. To the turkey mixture (I used 12oz, what I had left from making turkey nachos for dinner on Friday) I added about 1/2 cup finely minced onion, 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms, and 1/2 cup fresh minced parsley. I also used one egg white instead of a whole egg and oat flour in place of the bread crumbs. After sautéing to brown them on all sides (some fell apart a bit--might need to adjust my egg white/oat flour additions), I put them in the fridge until dinner today.


While the water for the spaghetti and rotini--both Trader Joe's brown rice pastas--came to a boil, I simmered the meatballs in a combination of marinara sauce, leftover crushed tomatoes, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and crushed red pepper.

They turned out great! The H loved them and asked that I make them again. I thought they were very hearty--I had four, which was one too many. Rice pasta is so filling! The little guy got rotini because it's easier to pick up or poke by himself. He wouldn't eat any unless we called them "turkey balls" rather than meatballs. Whatever works!

No comments:

Post a Comment