Saturday, January 1, 2011

First meal plan of the new year!

Totally thrilling, right? ;)

Saturday - Tonight we had pork, sauerkraut, and potatoes--our New Year's tradition. The pork was in the form of bratwurst from our local co-op, and some of the tastiest I've had. Sauerkraut was also from our great state, and mixed with browned onions and simmered 'til warm. For the potatoes, I used my favorite stand-by and roasted them, seasoned with olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, and rosemary. I served them with Greek yogurt, to which I'd added some seasoning mix from The Spice House.

Sunday - Ground turkey chili with gluten-free cornbread. Ideally, I plan to make the cornbread in my new 8-inch cast iron skillet!

Monday - Turkey Reubens, using the leftover sauerkraut, lunchmeat turkey, and local Swiss cheese, minus the Thousand Island dressing. I'll try to make a sauce using Greek yogurt again. I'll also need to make a loaf of clean wheat bread for myself; The H is still working his way through a GF pumpernickel and another homemade GF loaf.

Tuesday - Jerk chicken in the slow cooker... I think. I've made this a few times before, but never in the CrockPot. If I recall the recipe correctly, it should translate just fine. When we get home from running group, I'll reheat some brown rice and serve the chicken with that (the recipe also includes pineapple and bell peppers).

Wednesday - Steaks with sweet potatoes and green beans, frozen from 2010's garden yield.

Thursday - How about leftovers? I have a chicken-and-wild-rice soup portion frozen, as well as one or two bowls of beef stew, and I imagine we'll have at least one portion of chili and/or jerk chicken in the mix by now.

Friday - Whole roast chicken with roasted broccoli/cauliflower and carrots. I'll make stock and soup from the carcass next week. If this doesn't pan out (you know, if I forget to thaw the chicken), I'll make a soup with the broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower instead.

Saturday - The H's company holiday party at a restaurant/bar downtown.

Happy New Year, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment