Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Rutabaga. It's just fun to say.

Ever had a rutabaga? On purpose? It's been years for me. My family used to participate in historical interpreting/re-enacting at Fort Michilimackinac when I was in high school, and I recall making a pot pie that included rutabagas during the "harvest" weekend--that's the last time I remember rutabaggin' it.

Tonight when I made this frittata for dinner, I was excited to use one again. Not because I remember being over the moon for the lumpy brown veggie, but because I couldn't remember what it was like, and I felt like I was trying it for the first time. I like trying new things--food things, that is. I'm a creature of habit everywhere else. ;)

Here's a play-by-play.

It was ugly.

With the ends sliced off and this rocklike veggie in half, it was time to peel.
  
It was easier to peel than the butternut squash I prepped next. (Love that Rosle peeler! You can find it on Amazon; it's also in the Kitchen Gadgets section of my aStore, which is linked to the right).

Because of the way I wanted to use it, cubed was the best shape.
I was surprised to see that my "rutabaggy" (as I called it at the Fort) turned a lovely golden color.
 
It was a fantastic addition to this frittata; I told The H that one day I'd like to eat just the filling, sans eggs--though the whole thing was really, really good.















Rutabagas are similar to potatoes in texture (the website I referenced for cooking tips likened the flavor to a turnip, but really, how many people would be like, "Oh yeah, I know exactly how a turnip tastes; good comparison!"?) but with more flavor, almost a touch of sweetness.

Oh, and this was my first experience with collard greens, too. Thanks for posting and blogging this great recipe, Local Cook!

I'm going to crack open my copy of History from the Hearth, a cookbook that the lead interpreter wrote (for which my sisters, friends, and I modeled*), and see what other uses I can find for this surprisingly tasty root veggie. I think it would be fantastic mixed into homemade mashed potatoes or sliced into a casserole of scalloped taters.  

*Yep indeed, pics of an awkward tween Clean Eating Machine have been published for the world (ok fine, "the few random people who've ever seen this book") to see. And that's how I rock it, rutabaggy style.

No comments:

Post a Comment