Monday, May 17, 2010

Burn-the-house-down tofu

My poor baking sheets will never be the same. This is the first Clean Eating Magazine recipe in a long time that I can recall not enjoying. Did I choose the wrong tofu again? Have the wrong kind of broiler? Either way--it was passable but not a keeper. And since I'm not about only showing you the good/pretty/successful recipes, here's how it turned out.


Broiled Tofu
from Clean Eating Magazine, March/April 2010
Serves 4

Ingredients:
1/4 cup low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
4 tsp fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 lb mushrooms (white, cremini, shiitake, or a combination of your choice), halved (remove stems if using shiitake)
Olive oil cooking spray

Instructions:
1. Preheat broiler. Position one rack 4 inches below heating element, and another rack in the bottom third of the oven.

2. In a small bowl, whisk broth, vinegar, mustard, rosemary, garlic, salt, and pepper. Set aside 3 tablespoons of the sauce. In a large bowl, toss mushrooms with remaining sauce. Arrange mushrooms on a large rimmed baking sheet and set aside.

3. Cut tofu lengthwise into 6 slices and pat dry with paper towels. Cut each slice in half diagonally, making 12 triangles. Coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Arrange tofu on baking sheet and brush the top with half of the reserved 3 tablespoons of sauce.

4. Place sheet with mushrooms on bottom oven rack, and sheet with tofu on the upper oven rack. Cook for 6 minutes. Remove tofu (leaving mushrooms in the oven), turn pieces over, and brush with the last of the reserved sauce. Return tofu to top rack and continue cooking until tofu is dry and browned and mushrooms are tender, about 6 more minutes.


5. Divide tofu among plates and top with mushrooms. Drizzle with juices from baking sheet, and serve.


Umm, as you will observe, my sheet(s) have next to no juices with which to drizzle. I did the best I could.


Had the pieces not been partially charred, I imagine they would have tasted all right, but there was an odd *crunch* to every other bite that I couldn't place and didn't want to continue enduring. So I pitched the rest of my serving.

Please note, I thoroughly enjoyed my side of fresh mango. :)


Nutrition information per serving (3 triangles tofu, 1/2 cup mushrooms, 1 Tbsp sauce):
Calories - 180
Total fat - 7g
Sat. fat - 1g
Carbs - 11g
Fiber - 3g
Sugars - 4g
Protein - 18g
Sodium - 230mg
Cholesterol - 0mg

No comments:

Post a Comment