Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Honey mustard turkey meatloaf... on the grill!

Since it's been 9839654 degrees here for the past two days, with no indication of a cold snap, I decided against heating up the house with a hot oven today. And since I already had ground turkey breast thawed and didn't want burgers, I improvised and made, for the first time in my life, grilled meatloaf. Even The H would've liked it, and that's saying something when it comes to meatloaf.


I wanted to make everything outside, so the little guy could play and I didn't have to run back and forth between yard and house. Our dinner picnic was made up of Greek yogurt (for him), grilled sweet corn, foil-packet sweet-n-hot potatoes, fresh fruit, and this delicious meatloaf.


The recipe comes from a former acquaintance via my sister... I do not know the original source. I modified it slightly, shown in italics.


Honey Mustard Turkey Meatloaf
serves 6

1 1/2 pounds ground fresh turkey (1lb ground turkey breast)
1 cup bread crumbs (used oats, and not a full cup)
1/2 cup milk (omitted altogether--mixture was wet)
1/4 cup chopped onion (two handfuls of frozen minced onion)
1 egg, beaten (didn't beat ahead of time)
2 1/2 tsp yellow mustard
1 tsp poultry seasoning (used 3/4 tsp)
2 Tbsp honey (eyeballed it)
1 Tbsp brown sugar (subbed Sucanat)

1. Preheat oven to 350 (I used the grill). Combine 1 1/2 tsp mustard, honey, and brown sugar. Set aside.

2. In a large bowl, mix turkey, crumbs, milk, onion, egg, 1 tsp mustard (I misread the instructions and put about 2 tsp in, but still made the reserved sauce as written), and poultry seasoning. Pat mixture into loaf pan that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray (I divided it between three mini loaf pans that I had sprayed with grapeseed oil).


3. Bake 40 minutes, then spoon reserved mustard sauce over the top. Bake 10 minutes or until no longer pink (I cooked it over a low, indirect heat until it was browned at the edges and cooked through).


Altogether, these guys cooked about 40 minutes start to finish.


The potatoes got a little softer than I wanted, and pieces stuck to the foil, but they were still tasty--sweet with a touch of oomph from the cayenne I shook on them. The corn was simply divine. We cut it off the cobs to make it easier to eat.


This was... SO good. I've made the recipe before, as meatloaf muffins, but that doesn't count, because it wasn't nearly as good for whatever reason(s). I am glad I have two more in the freezer for another day!

Sam the ham was just happy to be in the yard with his family, soaking up the sun. :)


Happy grilling season!

No comments:

Post a Comment