Friday, May 21, 2010

Garbanzo bean brownies

Brownies from beans, again? YES! And I think I like these better than the black bean avocado version I posted not long ago. The texture is cakier, which is a mystery to me because they are wheat-free. I like the chocolate flavor a bit more in this recipe, too. Using chocolate chips (an allergen-free version from Enjoy Life) instead of cocoa powder is no doubt responsible for that. They are sweeter than the black bean recipe, probably also from the chocolate chips, even though they don't call for more than one type of sweetener.


Chickpea Brownies


1 1/2 cups dairy-free, grain-sweetened chocolate chips
4 large eggs
15 oz chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup agave nectar or 1/2 cup real maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1. Preheat oven to 350.

2. Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler (improvise with a metal bowl over a pot of simmering water). Keep an eye on them--I was surprised how quickly they melted down!


3. Process beans and eggs in blender or food processor until smooth. Add melted chocolate, agave, and baking powder. Blend until smooth.


4. Pour batter into lightly greased 8x8 pan and bake 35-40 minutes.


I had too much batter to feel comfortable leaving it all in the 8x8 pan, so I took out 6 cupcakes' worth, and placed both on a large baking sheet just in case.


The cupcakes/brownie bites took about 30 minutes to cook, and I continued baking the rest of the brownies at least 15 minutes longer.


Perfect with a cup of coffee at my 10:00 snack break! Next time I will add nuts and/or more chocolate chips to the mixed batter, as I prefer my brownies with little extras like that.

4 comments:

  1. I am going to try these. Thank you so much for posting! I'd love to see a nutritional breakdown, like how much more protein is added because of the chick beans. Ah, brilliant for picky kids, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to plug the ingredients into SparkRecipes this afternoon, and will post the nutrition info when I get to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just tried these and loved them! I used honey as a sweetener but it came out too strong. I think next time I'll try splenda and add some peppermint extract. Will definitely be making these from now on.

    I love them as cupcakes and frozen...nice and chewy, you really wouldn't know what it was made out of!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be planning these into our menu this week. Cant wait to see if I can trick the little ones in my house.

    ReplyDelete