Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Stir-fry soup

Monday's dinner was originally going to be chicken stir-fry with peas and green onion, but at the last minute I gave The H a choice between "chicken over rice" and "chicken with noodles" and he opted for the (rice) noodles. It turned out to be a great decision! The Asian Chicken Soup that resulted was pretty darn fantastic.


First, I soaked a half package of dried wild mushrooms in warm water. I've had this package of mushrooms for so long, I was glad to have a chance to use them. I thought they'd jazz up this otherwise-boring-looking soup. While those were rehydrating, I browned two sliced chicken breasts in grapeseed oil in the wok and got some broth boiling in a separate pot, to soak the rice noodles in.

The noodles only took 10 minutes to soak. Meanwhile, I threw a handful of chopped celery, about 2 cups of snap peas, some green onion, garlic scapes, and the rehydrated mushrooms into the wok. I seasoned it all with wheat-free tamari sauce, three cloves of chopped garlic, and some freshly grated ginger. I keep a knot of ginger in the freezer and just peel the skin down when I'm ready to use some--a Microplane is awesome for grating it, even when it's frozen.

Once everything was heated through and the noodles were soft, I dished some into our bowls.

It was good.

It was so good, in fact, that The H didn't even bother with his bowl when he got seconds.


He says the mushrooms added such a great depth of flavor. I was impressed with the colors they contributed to the bowl. I'll definitely be using them again. For as simply as this was seasoned, we were both pleased with how flavorful it was. No need to add salt (thanks to the tamari) or pepper, though you could certainly spice up an individual portion easily.

Good thing I set aside my portion for lunch before we sat down to eat; I don't think we would have had any left otherwise.

4 comments:

  1. Hey! We have the same wok. Love that thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! I never thought to keep ginger in the freezer. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Branny--you can tell it's well-loved around here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome dish! Great idea on using the wok as the soup :)

    ReplyDelete