Thursday, June 10, 2010

Do you eat enough fruits and veggies?

A little blurb in the most recent issue of Clean Eating Magazine (at least, I think that's where it is... of course I can't find it now) includes a reminder that we should be getting 9 servings of fruits and vegetables daily. Do you? It made me wonder how close I get to that goal, so I decided to keep track for three days and see where I fall.

Sunday
1. Dried cherries (breakfast)
2. Raisins (breakfast)
3. Strawberries (lunch)
4. Beets (lunch)
5. Edamame (snack)
6. Tomato (dinner)
7. Red onion (dinner)
8. x
9. x

3 fruits, 4 veggies. Two servings short... I could do better by having a banana (and spinach! Go green monster!) with my breakfast, or as a morning snack. I did not have an AM snack, so that would've been an easy fix.

Monday
1. Mixed fruit (with breakfast--grapes, melon, orange slices, pineapple, raisins)
2. Green salad (spring mix, baby spinach, radicchio) topped with...
3. Beets (for lunch)


4. Blackberries (snack)
5. Edamame (snack)
6. Sauteed bell peppers (dinner)
7. Sauteed onion (dinner)
8. Pinapple salsa (with soy-flax tortilla chips... now I'm reaching!)
9. x

3 fruits, 5 veggies. Better than Sunday, but still not where it should be. Skipped the AM snack again. We were out shopping... I should've put some berries or a banana in my purse. I will have to make a concentrated effort to reach my 9 when we get back home!

Tuesday
1. Raisins and dried cherries (breakfast oatmeal)
2. Spinach (green monster)
3. 1/2 banana (green monster)
4. Blackberries (snack)
5. Vegetable soup (carrots, corn, tomato, zucchini)
6. Green salad (Romaine, mushrooms, tomato, broccoli)
7. Banana (snack)
8. Strawberries (snack)
9. More blackberries (snack--the last three were topped with cottage cheese)

FINALLY! I got my 9. Just out of curiosity, I'm going to keep track for 3 days at home, too. I think being in a hotel and not having a solid meal plan for the past 2 weeks has thrown me off. At least, I hope so--I would have thought my fruits and veggies intake was much higher than this shows! And if it's really not, well, then I have all the more reason to hit up the farmer's market.

2 comments:

  1. Don't forget that a serving is only half a cup, so you're probably getting a lot more than you think. That salad up there is definitely more than one serving of greens, for instance, and a green monster (at least I think) usually takes at LEAST 1 cup of spinach! I don't think people could eat enough to get in 9 servings (plus all the carbs & protein you need also) if the serving sizes were so big :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point! There are varying guidelines for what counts as a serving, based on age/sex/activity level, that you can find online.

    ReplyDelete