Monday, September 14, 2009

A quick quinoa side dish

Last night we had a last-minute substitution and made quinoa with our BBQ chicken rather than brown rice, simply to save time. My usual go-to quinoa side contains black beans, corn, and cumin, but I didn't want those flavors next to my smoky grilled BBQ chicken. Then I remembered a barley dish I tried a few months ago and decided to use those ingredients to season the quinoa. Thankfully, it turned out just right. So here's what I did:

Cook quinoa according to package directions. Add 1 packet Trader Joe's chicken stock concentrate with the water.

When quinoa is done, add a few swirls of olive oil, the juice of one lemon, a few pinches of dried thyme, sea salt, and black pepper--all to taste. Stir to combine, and serve.

Very easy, very tasty. My 1-year-old was eating it by the fistful, and again for lunch today. Even my mother-in-law, who may have had quinoa for the first time last night, said it was great. Score one for the clean eating machines!

No comments:

Post a Comment